Talking Security: DevSecOps Series - Episode 2
Code security is a topic that is becoming increasingly important for developers, as they face the challenges of building secure applications and infrastructure in the cloud. Code security involves embedding security into code, such as infrastructure as code (IaC) security, application code security and software supply chain security1. By following secure coding practices and using code analysis tools, developers can identify and prevent potential vulnerabilities in their code, and reduce the risk of cyberattacks.
In this episode of the TalkingSecurity podcast, we will explore the concept of code security from a developers perspective. We will see how it can help you achieve DevSecOps, a culture and practice that aims to integrate security throughout the software development lifecycle. We will also discuss some of the tools and techniques that you can use to implement code security in your projects.
We will also share some of the best practices and tips that you can follow to improve your code security, such as:
- Adopting a security mindset and culture in your development team, and involving security experts and stakeholders in your planning and design phases.
- Following the principle of least privilege, and granting only the minimum permissions and access that are required for your code and users to function.
- Encrypting and hashing sensitive data, such as passwords, tokens, and keys, and storing them securely in a vault or a secret manager.
- Validating and sanitizing user input and output, and avoiding dynamic queries or commands that can be manipulated by attackers.
- Updating and patching your code and dependencies regularly, and using automated tools to scan and test your code for vulnerabilities and compliance.
We hope that you will enjoy this episode of TalkingSecurity, and that you will learn something new and useful about code security and DevSecOps. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us or leave a comment below. Thank you for listening and stay safe! And don’t forget to subscribe to our podcast and follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more episodes in the DevSecOps series. 👋
Google Podcast 👉 Link
Apple Podcast 👉 Link
Spotify 👉 Link